Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Ethan's First Day of School!

I dropped Ethan off at school for the first time today. It was heartbreaking. Meredith dropped Logan off at the same time. Logan lives next door and he and Ethan are the same age. Ethan cried his little heart out when I first dropped him off. (Logan was crying too.) Then Meredith and I stood outside the classroom and looked through the 2-way mirror for almost 2 hours!! I don't think anyone could have peeled us away from that mirror. Eventually, the boys stopped crying and they sat at their little table eating their breakfast snack - waffles. Then they just played and played. Ethan kept climbing up on this step thingy (and everything else for that matter). He and Logan were also intrigued with the same little baby doll. One of the teachers sang "the Wheels on the Bus" and Ethan was dancing in the middle of the room. It was so cute. After a while, the teachers took Ethan and some of the others out to the playground and he was throwing around a beach ball. Meredith and I finally felt it was safe to leave. She and I had lunch together and then went back to pick the boys up at 3:00. When we got to the classroom, Ethan was standing in the middle the room crying so hard! When I went in to get him, he started crying even harder. We went out to the playground to get Logan and he was also crying. Our hearts were breaking. It was so sad. The teachers told me that Ethan did not nap at all. They said that he did fall asleep, but Logan woke him right up and he never went back to sleep. They also told me that Ethan is a bruiser and that he was climbing on all of the playground equipment fearlessly and even fell and hurt his head.
Man, I dread taking him there on Thursday.

4 comments:

Welcome to the Mouse House said...

Awww,. it will totally get better. Just give it some time.

I bet that was so hard for you, but you have to keep reminding yourself of the experience he is getting at school.

He will be so fantastic!

Jer said...

It will get better! Once he gets used to it, he'll love it and won't wanna leave. He'll be having so much fun and making so many friends. It's always harder on the mom than it is for the kid.

3LittleFlowers said...

Awwww... This is hard.. The only one of my 3 daughters who have done this was my oldest, and it was so hard to see her crying (and she was 2 already)...

I do know that it will get better as I have been in the other side (meaning, being a teacher), and the kids that cry would stop crying after a few days when the adaptation process is over... You'll see!

Pudgy Pencils said...

Hi Ethan! Biscuit hopes your next day at school is a lot easier now that you've had a little experience at it...he wants to give your mom a big hug too, since it sounds like it was probably even harder for her (or at least as hard) for her!!