Saturday, November 17, 2007

Yummy Sweet Potatoes

I didn't give Ethan his sweet potato on Wednesday night. I didn't want to try a new food out on him before bedtime in case it hurt his little tummy. So, Oz and I ate one of Ethan's sweet potatoes and I gave Ethan the other one on Thursday afternoon. He seemed to love it! I stopped feeding it to him because I was worried I was giving him too much, but I believe he could have eaten the whole thing. I am going to give him some more over the weekend and I think next I will give him pears or avocado.
Ethan and I went to Gwen's yesterday and she was showing me the formula recipe that the pediatrician gave to her when Kathi was a baby. It included evaporated milk, water and some sort of sugar, dextrose I believe. That was it! And then it was recommended that she give her orange juice at a few months old. Things certainly have changed. On wholesomebabyfood.com I found this recipe for baby formula from 1852:

From Cookery for Children, Sarah Josepha Hale, 1852

"Food for a young infant -- Take of fresh cow's milk one table-spoons full, and mix with 2 table-spoonsfull of hot water; sweeten with loaf-sugar as much as may be agreeable. This quantity if sufficient for once feeding a new-born infant; and the same quantity may be given every 2 or 3 hours -- not oftener -- till the mother's breast affords the natural nourishment."

I thought that was interesting and funny to read. On the subject of food & nourishment, Gwen has found a little bit of trivia for us all:

I was founded in 1866, when a pharmacist tried to develop an economical alternative to breast milk for mothers who couldn't nurse. Today, I'm Switzerland's largest industrial company, and the world's largest food and beverage company. I employ more than 25m people. Some of my other brands are: Taster's Choice, Deer Park, Carnation, Coffee Mate, Kit-Kat, Friskies, Fancy Feast and there are more. Sales of my Instant Coffee more than doubled during World War II.
"Who Am I?...........Answer later.